Janine L. Liberatore
Tenacious, concise, driven, decisive, dedicated, organized, and strategic are some of the words used by my clients when asked to describe me. I love what I do, every day. I became an employment lawyer because I love advocacy and relationships. I have been practicing labour and employment law for almost 15 years. I feel most at home unravelling complex labour relations issues, making legal submissions to a court or tribunal, participating in mediation, or training management or future legal experts on employment concepts or alternate dispute resolution.
For a large portion of my career, I practiced in-house at large national corporations, which allowed me to gain valuable insight into how businesses operate and tailor my legal advice towards practical real-world solutions. Whether your business is large or small, I understand budgetary considerations, cost centres, the hierarchy of decision making, and ensuring human resource professionals have the information and tools necessary to make sound business decisions.
To further my passion for teaching, I am also an adjunct professor teaching alternate dispute resolution.
At home, I have three young kids, a dog, I love to garden and practice ashtanga yoga on an (almost) daily basis.
My passion is evident in everything I do. I am positive and collaborative but I am ready to go into battle when appropriate. I look forward to working with you and your team!
- Represented large national corporations in policy grievances related to union jurisdiction of online work and grievances related to termination of employment, discipline cases.
- Successfully represented the plaintiff and secured one of Canada’s largest award for wrongful dismissal.
- Represented employers at interest arbitrations in the hospitality industry.
- Advised clients on complex labour relations including building services providers and successor rights.
- Managed sexual harassment, workplace violence and workplace harassment investigations and subsequent employment implications for the complainants and respondents.
- Advised clients on performance management for employees with medical accommodation needs.
- Strategized and assisted in the implementation of business restructuring involving plant closures and mass terminations.